Here is a quick guide to Root your Nexus 7 and install CWM Touch. Mateorod has ported TWRP and compiled a CWM-based (Touch and non-touch) recovery image, made from CM10.1 tilapia source. You will need fastboot, at minimum, to write this recovery.
Note: Rooting your device will removes any kind of warranty from your device and we don’t hold any responsibilities if you brick your device or anything goes wrong while rooting your device.
Lets start with the process of root Nexus 7
- Boot into the bootloader
- Turn the device on while pressing volume down
- Unlock your bootloader, this will wipe all your data
fastboot oem unlock
- With your Nexus 7 3G in the bootloader and connected to your computer through the usb cable:replace recovery-CWM-tilapia-regular with the name of the recovery image you chose to download.
fastboot flash recovery recovery-CWM-tilapia-regular.img
- To make CWM your permanent recovery: (this can, despite the warnings, be undone. Do it.)
- Boot into recovery mode by pressing ‘vol up’ and when the menu says ‘recovery mode’ press the power button.
- Mount system in the ‘mounts’ menu
mv system/recovery-from-boot.p system/recovery-from-boot.bak
- To Root (With /system still mounted):
adb push CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip /sdcard/
- Flash the SuperSU zip in recovery (‘Install’ menu with TWRP or ‘choose zip from sdcard’ in CWM)
- Reboot System
Voila! you have rooted your Nexus 7 enjoy installing any custom ROM.
Root (Get the CWM flashable zip)